Let’s take a speedtree pine tree and export it to Maya. We will also change it’s shader to a Redshift material and make a low resolution version and variant versions as well.
I’ve heard of Cryptomattes a lot lately. My friend, Paul Rivera, first mentioned it to me for Clarisse and loving the ease of use. Then literally the next day in a tutorial I heard about them. And then a co-worker mentioned them about if we’d looked into them at my work.
So I decided to dig into it a little. Cryptomatte is a tool created by Psyop studio as a way to automatically generate ID mattes using information available at render time. It works with motion blur, transparency, and depth of field. It was presented at Siggraph 2015. This tool has already been picked up by multiple studios and various packages. The nice thing is Psyop has kept this an open source tool. Here is a good intro to them: PSYOP releases Cryptomatte
So far, Clarisse, V-ray, Katana, Maya, Houdini, Blender, Renderman, Redshift, Arnold, Nuke, Fusion, and After Effects can use it.
You can download it on GitHub
It’s super easy to install in Nuke. Takes only a few seconds to setup.
I’ll be digging into it more over the coming months.
This was a fun little concept solely to start messing with Marvelous Designer. Granted it’s a very simple use of Marvelous. I was thinking of Raiders of the Lost Ark Pangrazio shot, a little of Hal from 2001, and Timeless show.
I used Maya, Marvelous Designer, Arnold Renderer, and Photoshop. Here’s a quick breakdown of my process.
Many of you may already know this, but for those few like me here we go – drag and drop into Maya’s interface. Simple. Easy.
We’ve discussed Terrain.party before, but I wanted to show it here for scouting and then baking out the heighmap to create simple geometry to work with.
Did a little exploration. I was demoing World Machine to my class and thought why not do something with it again. I wanted to test using VDB volumes in Redshift so why not combine the two. I’ll do another post detailing using VDB volumes. This is by far not finished but a fun exploration.
Simple tutorial using Arnold in Maya with displacment and then converting that heightfield to geometry.
I took the Kitbash Victorian set. Did a quick Redshift render with atmosphere and some lights. About 1-2 hours in Photoshop. Not perfect, but fun.
This is the render out of Maya in Redshift